ELECTION COMMISSION OF PAKISTAN
Islamabad the 7th March, 2013
No.F.2(10)/2013-Cord (1).— In exercise of the powers conferred upon it under Article 218(3) of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan read with Section 104 of the Representation of the People Act, 1976 and all other powers enabling it in that behalf, the Election Commission of Pakistan is pleased to issue the Code of Conduct for Observers for the General Elections, 2013 and subsequent bye-elections:
(1) Every person who participates in election observation individually or as a member of a local group / organization or International Election Observation Mission must read and understand this Code of Conduct and shall sign a pledge annexed to this Code.
(2) Observers shall respect the sovereignty of Pakistan as well as the fundamental rights and freedom of its people.
(3) Observers shall adhere to the laws of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and respect the authority of the Election Commission and its election officials.
(4) Observers shall follow instructions issued from the Election Commission and State authorities including security officials and maintain a respectful attitude towards them.
(5) Strict political impartiality shall be maintained by Observers at all times during election process. They shall not exhibit any bias or preference with regard to national authorities, political parties and candidates as well as any issue related to the process of elections.
(6) Observers shall not conduct or participate in any activity that may generate an impression of favoring or opposing any political party or a candidate.
(7) The Observer will have right to ask any question and to clear any query but they will not obstruct directly or indirectly in any pre-election, election and post election process.
(8) Observers shall display their official identification badges, issued by the Election Commission of Pakistan, at all times and shall present it to electoral officials and other national authorities when requested.
(9) Observers shall ensure that all their observations are impartial, objective and depict the highest standards of accuracy.
(10) Individual Observer shall not make any personal comments about his/her observation or conclusion on the election process to the media. Observation Organizations or groups should ensure that only their authorized persons give comment about the election process.
(11) Observer Organizations may share their findings, methodology and recommendations with the Election Commission of Pakistan.
(12) Observers shall maintain proper personal behavior and respect others, including exhibiting sensitivity for culture and customs of the country and observe the highest level of professional conduct at all times.
(13) All organizations requesting accreditation from the Election Commission of Pakistan shall be responsible for education and training of their individual observers in electoral laws and procedures, including this Code.
(14) The Observers intending to visit Pakistan shall submit their visa applications well in time, according to the rules laid down by relevant authorities of the Government of Pakistan. No observer shall stay in Pakistan beyond the duration of granted visa.
(15) Observers shall comply with advisories that may be issued by the Government or security agencies to ensure their safety during their stay in Pakistan.
(16) In case of violation of this Code of Conduct, the Election Commission of Pakistan reserves the right to withdraw observer accreditation of an individual Observer or an Observer Mission. The authority to determine the violation also rests with the Election Commission of Pakistan.
By order of the Election Commission of Pakistan.
(Syed Sher Afgan)
Director General (Elections)